Hi all,
I'm faced with an analysis of data concerning chemometrics, which I'm
not very familiar with. It seems to me that the experiment is quite
poorly designed, so I'll try to explain what my brother (actually the
chemical engeneer) is looking for. Say a certain substance contains No2
and No3 and we are interested in assessing the concentration of No3 by
spectroscopy. We know that absorbance readings for No2 are ok, but those
for No3 are somehow influenced by No2 concentrations. So first the
instrument is calibrated for No2 and No2 concentration is estimated.
Secondly No2 is transformed in No3 by some obsidation process, the
instrument is independently calibrated for No3 and the total
concentration of No3 is estimated, assuming it is given by the sum of
the initial concentration of No3 plus that due to having transformed No2
in No3. Finally the initial concentration of No3 is estimated by
subtracting the formerly estimated No2 concentration from the total No3
concentration. Several replications of this experiment are available
together with the true concentrations of the substances, and my brother
is obviously interested in assessing the quality of his No3
concentration estimation procedure. My first impression is that unless
the two calibrations are performed in a dependent way there is no way to
use these data. What my brother is trying to do is essentially using two
independent estimators for assessing two strongly dependent quantities
(total No3 and initial No2). Given that the obsidation mechanism can't
be explicitly modeled because of the presence of interactions within the
substance at hand, does anybody have any idea on how to use these data
for the purpose?
My suggestion for a future experiment taking into account the
interaction between the two estimators was simply to perform the two
calibrations on the same No2 based substance, before and after
obsidation. Does that sound reasonable? What could be an alternative
strategy?
Alessio

Alessio Pollice
Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche