Hello everybody,

in one of the clinical projects we consult on data analysis, I am
facing a problem I have not yet come across and that leaves me with no
idea on how to proceed. The problem pertains to the dimension of
the outcome data set. In a repeated measures design, let N be the
number of people treated and T be the number of measurement occassions.

I understand that N=1 (or _some_) more and T=120 would make up a time
series, and that I am supposed to fit ARIMA-MOdels or Transfer functions.
I could detect effects by structural breaks around the point of time of
intervention, that is: performing intervention analyses as proposed in
McDowell, McCleary, Meidinger and Hay, 1980, Interrupted time series
analysis, or other books on how to analyse data from single subject
designs.
Allright.

I understand that N=120 (or any number more) and repeated measures like
2<=T<="the-smaller-the-better" would make up a dataset suitable for
an ANOVA approach or mixed models using special covariance structures
like SAS's proc mixed. I know how to do that.
Allright.

I understand that for each of this variants there are some alternatives
in statistical modeling (like non-parametric analyses etc.).

Now, what am I supposed to do with data from a design giving a T=120
time series for _each_ of 120 subjects ? There has been a controlled
study where patients in three independent groups were asked to keep
a diary on some outcome variables for ca. 4 months. There are some
design variables like treat/control or sex and age that are expected
to contribute systematically to variation between outcome measures.
But this outcome measure apparently is a time series. I don't think
I should perform an ANOVA-style analysis with a 120-level time factor.
Pooling data and performing ARIMA/transfer-functions on a single time
series of subjects' means for each point in time doesn't make sense
either, assuming that subjects differ in both measurement level and
covariance structure of their individual time series. I admit that
I have no idea how to evaluate, say, an effect of treatment on this
kind of outcome measure.

Does anybody else have an idea ? I promise to post a summary of res-
ponses to the list.

Thanks in advance

Hans-Christian Waldmann

Dr. Hans C Waldmann
Methodology & Applied Statistics in Psychology & the Health Sciences

ZFRF / University of Bremen / Grazer Str 6 / 28359 Bremen / Germany
[log in to unmask] / http://samson.fire.uni-bremen.de

friend of: AIX PERL ADABAS SAS TEX