From: Osher Doctorow [log in to unmask], Mon. Oct. 9, 2000, 8:15AM

I do not regard the number of people on or off lists as important, since I
have maintained for some time that one Creative Genius is as good as 100,000
Ingenius Followers.  In fact, in the cases of Beethoven, Haydn, and Mozart,
a list of one was good enough.  If there is an attempt to make a criticism
by leaving the list, I have been criticized for most of my life by people
claiming to be better than me, and I am still as creative as ever - in fact,
I may be better for the criticism, not because it was correct usually, but
because stress helps creative people to gather together their creativity.
It could also be that people who left the list have experienced a false
virus alarm on their computers.  About a year ago or less, my computer
became infected by the kak virus, which was eradicated but which left a
registration error that has to be corrected every time (by deleting the
signature from the tools menu, using tools to options) I turn on the
computer or else it issues a false virus alarm.  I sometimes (rarely) have
forgotten to delete the signature when first waking up, but I usually catch
it by the second message.   The virus came after my long participation on
many lists and not a few flames by others, so asking which came first is
something like the chicken versus the egg dilemma.  As long as the policies
of Allstat are clearly enunciated and periodically made available to list
members (and I have erred myself in forgetting them on occasion), nobody
should feel any guilt except perhaps to gather together their creativity.

Osher Doctorow