LEEDS MEDICAL STATISTICS GROUP SEMINAR The next seminar will be: HEATHER DICKINSON Department of Child Health, University of Newcastle. "Evidence for an infectious aetiology of childhood leukaemia" 2pm, Friday 23rd January, 2000. Abstract: MS Sans SerifThe population mixing hypothesis suggests that migration may expose susceptible individuals to infections to which they have low immunity and to which leukaemia is a rare and abnormal response. If such an effect acted early in life, we might also expect births of children who develop leukaemia to (i) show seasonality and (ii) be closer than expected in space and time to births of children who die of infection at an early age. We have investigated these hypotheses on children born in Cumbria, 1950-93 (excluding Seascale, as it gave rise to the population mixing hypothesis). We will present results which are consistent in indicating an infectious factor, acting around or before birth, in the aetiology of ALL/NHL in younger children. ArialSeminars are held at Leeds University's Institute for Epidemiology at 34 Hyde Terrace, Leeds. Everybody welcome. Further details and directions are available from Darren Greenwood. Email: 0000,8000,0000[log in to unmask] Phone: 0113 233 4831 Fax: 0113 233 3952 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%