	www.ucl.ac.uk/stats/research/journals.html

> Monday 30th October 2000 - 4pm,  Room 102, 1-19 Torrington Place,
> Department of Statistical Science - University College London.

Speaker: Bob Griffiths, Oxford

Ancestral Inference from Stochastic Gene Trees

A unique gene tree describing the mutation history of a sample of DNA
sequences can be can be constructed as a perfect phylogeny
under an assumption of non-recurrent point mutations.
The tree is equivalent to the DNA sequence data and because of ancestry
there is much interest in thinking of the DNA sequence data as a tree.
The likelihood of a gene tree under a stochastic coalescent model
of evolution can be found by an advanced simulation technique,
thus allowing maximum likelihood estimation of parameters
using the full information in the data.
The distribution of the time to the most recent common ancestor and
ages of mutations in the gene tree, conditional on its topology,
can also be found by the simulation technique.

Dr Andrew Copas
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Departments of Statistical Science & Sexually Transmitted Diseases
University College London
[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]