Next you'll be saying that the Holocaust didn't exist.

The FACT of the matter is people are still dying from AIDS related illnesses
and it is this fact that we should be addressing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hodges [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 August 2000 21:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: carlton hogan
Subject: HIV dissidents again

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:32:45 +0100 (BST)
> From: Norman Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Cc: Norman Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Seeking text of invitation to sign the Durban Declaration
>
> Allstat  subscribers may recognise me as one who disbelieves the
> HIV Hypothesis : that  AIDS  is due to HIV, and has urged that
> statisticians should be playing a role in campaigning for better
> scientific reasoning in this field. (rest of Marsh message below)

Two Key Points:

1) as to his griping about "non-experts" - even those "dissidents"
who are credentialed almost inevitably are arguing out of their
filed of expertise, i.e. Duesberg arguing epidemiology, or Mullis
(a chemist) arguing immunology. In that, to my knowledge, Steven
Lanka and Duesberg are properly credentialed when speaking virology
(and those two disagree if HIV exists!), and Mullis is, I guess,
qualified to talk about PCR

Although in Mullis' argument against "viral load" testing, he claims that
any form of quantitative PCR is impossible - obviously a news flash to the
thousands of scientists outside of AIDS who use it every day, as it is to
all those who did the QC research on inter and intra-measure variation,
and the FDA reviewers (which brings to mind one of my favorite "dissident"
rhetorical dishonesties - when discussing "viral load" - HIV RNA measure
by PCR, bDNA, or NASBA, which oddly enough, all correlate nicely - the
classic dissident tag line is "these experimental tests are not even
approved by the US FDA for diagnosis of HIV infection" -- which is
literally true: they are approved for _staging_.

And let's not forget to mention the negative and positive controls
that are run with EVERY PCR run.

Virtually none of the public dissidents are even generally qualified
in the field, and to my knowledge, not one cvould be called an
"AIDS Expert" (and to ensure that there isn't boostrapping in
my definition of AIDS expert, let's define that as anyone who has
done any published AIDS research that is not in the nature
of review or edirorializing)

2) The Durban Declaration was _not_ in any way initiated by the
conference organizers. Independent academics in the US and Europe
drafted and disseminated it. Much of their impetus was the wholesale
barrage of anti-HIV propaganda (none of it from "AIDS experts").

One of the driving concerns motivating this document was that
only the most rigorous scientific data should drive this debate,
not some stew of plausible scenaria, insinuations, implications,
and neo-luddism. By the way, I do not use that term lightly. Many
of the luminaries of the "AIDS dissident" movement are creationists,
notably Philip Johnson (a law professor at Berkely - one of the "AIDS
experts" driving the "dissident" train), and the software mogul who is
underwriting ACT-UP San Francisco.

It seems that this righteous indignation your pal Norman feels about
"non-AIDS-experts" is quite the petard to self-hoist with.

Carlton

Feel free to quote the above points.

"Jim Hodges writes to say:"

> [...]

 |   Carlton Hogan  ([log in to unmask])                         |

 |   Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS Statistical Center  |

 |   Coordinating Center for Biometric Research                           |

 |   Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health                   |
 |   University of Minnesota          http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~carlton |

 |   2221 University Ave SE, Suite 200              Voice: (612) 626 8899 |

 |   Minneapolis  MN 55414                            FAX: (612) 626 8892 |