I have a hypothesis in my field of neuropsychology. I think that a certain
experimental treatment might be increasing the variance of scores compared
to a control condition, but not moving the means all that much, which is
why many investigators are coming up with null results for the treatment.
There are nice a priori theoretical grounds why this might be so, and this
is not some post hoc attempt to explain some awkward results. I am
imagining that a particular  remembered stimulus might "push" or "pull" on
a subsequent response, depending on whether it is remembered in the correct
or incorrect context - hence if it is remembered at all, it will affect
subsequent response time either positively or negatively, whereas if it is
forgotten, it will have no effect one way or the other.

How can I go about testing this hypothesis? Many people in my field have
raw data that could be reanalysed from this point of view,  since they were
all looking for mean differences and not effects on the variances.

Anything not overly sophisticated that folks could suggest to me?

TIA,

David Klein