A letter from me appears in today's THES.  The justification for
announcing this here is that it has taken three weeks to persuade the THES
letters editor to publish a response to a graphic. The graph referred to
(17 March) was merely misleading.  Their graph on 3 March was a gross
distortion, but the critique was refused space on the grounds that "no one
else has commented."  The same message has come from editors of national
dailies when challenged on graphics, though they would immediately see the
point if someone pointed to a misleading typo. Perhaps list-colleagues
would join me in writing to publications so that the illiteracy of the
general public in using or reading graphics can be highlighted to the
DfEE, who are obviously turning a blind eye.

Comments to me please, not to the list, or I will be blackballed.

R. Allan Reese                       Email: [log in to unmask]