Hi Younju:

Though I don't have a direct answer to your question, I can share my
experience so far with the Neural Networks. I am using the Neural Networks
toolbox of MATLAB. Basically I am developing a 3 layered NN Architecture
with the implementation of backpropagation algorithm.

It's real easy to code NN programs in MATLAB and it makes the task a lot
easier since MATLAB is excellent in terms of handling matrices.

Anyway, I am happy to see statisticians getting involved in topics such as
Neural Networks. Most of the techniques/algorithms in Neural Networks seem
to be the counter part of popular statistical algorithms.

Here are few things what I have learned from the Neural Networks class which
I am taking this semester:

1) Training data  : How much to use ? Should we use noisy data ?
                   training vs. testing

2) Network Sizing : How many nodes are needed to solve your problem ?
                    Are there layers always sufficient ?
                    It's always easy to decide the number of neurons
                    in the input and output layer. But how many
                    neurons should we have in the middle layer?

3) Network Pruning : Should we do pruning to get rid of the superflous
                     neurons ?

4) Learning Rate   : This has significant effect on the network
                     performance. Should it just be 2/max-eigen-value?

5) Momentum        : Should we add a momentum term to avoid falling
                     into any local mimina on the error surface ?

These are some of the key issues that govern the performance of the network.
There are no specific answers to these questions. But you should keep these
in mind and hopefully have a feel for these as you gain expertise.

I would be gald to hear about the experiences of other statisticians as
well.

Regards
Debasmit
Debasmit Mohanty