We have two meetings this month to which visitors are warmly invited.

   Tuesday 7 March 6pm
   Nick Fieller (University of Sheffield)
   Archaeostatistical Collaboration
   starts 6pm in the Graduate Research Institute, University of Hull
   (to find the GRI, come to the main entrance to the university campus
    on Cottingham Road, and go round the side of the Middleton Hall.)

   Nick will review applications of statistics in archaeology, considering
   sampling, data collection and processing.  Illustrations are taken
   from projects in Egypt, Central ustralia, Melanesia and The Hebrides.

   Friday 31 March 6pm
   Denise Lievesley (UNESCO and RSS President)
   Data Access and preservation in a Anational and international context
   Ferens Building, Hull University
   (next building behind GRI, so similar directions)

   The talk will cover the importance of preserving and distributing data
   in electronic form, the benefits to users of doing so and the related
   benefits to data producers.  I will discuss the barriers to data access
   and ways of overcoming them, and will stress the importance of archival
   systems to ensure that data remain usable over time.  Given my role at
   UNESCO I will put the comments I make into an international context and
   speak about ways in which data access and preservation is handled in
   different parts of the world.

R. Allan Reese                       Email: [log in to unmask]
Associate Manager                    Direct voice:   +44 1482 466845
Graduate Research Institute          Voice messages: +44 1482 466844
Hull University, Hull HU6 7RX, UK.   Fax:            +44 1482 466846