********* Please note the change of address !!!!  ***********

*********Apologies for crosspostings *************************

Everyone is welcome. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided!

Monday 24 January 2000 - 4pm,  Room 102, 1-19 Torrington Place,
Department of Statistical Science - University College London.

Speaker : Dr S. Bramwell (Dept. of Chemistry - UCL)

Title: Universal Fluctuations in Correlated Systems

Abstract:
The probability density function (PDF) of a global measure in a large
class of highly correlated systems is found to be of the same
non-Gaussian form. This result has its origin in the experimental study of
magnetic systems and turbulent flow experiments. Recent theoretical work
has established the functional form of the PDF and demonstrated its
application to a range of equilibrium and non-equilibrium systems. The
three features shared by all these systems are finite size, strong
correlations and self-similarity. The relationship with both Gaussian and
extremal (Gumbel) statistics will be discussed.

Our department has moved to new premises. A map with instructions on how to
get to our department can be found at the following web site:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Stats/map.html

K. Skouras, Lecturer in Statistics, Department of Statistical Science, UCL,
1-19 Torringhton Place, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom.
Tel: 020 - 76791862 Fax: 0171-7383 4703
e-mail: [log in to unmask]