At Newcastle, the mature students Bursary will be managed by the Childcare
Co-Ordinator and the Access Fund Administrator (me!).

The University has been running a Childcare Fund for many years and the
Co-Ordinator uses an assessment form, which is similar to our Access
application form, but much more detailed. This system will be tweaked to
allow any students who are eligible to receive additional help through the
Access route. We have already identified and informed existing students who
will be eligible and are now in the process of writing to all new mature
students and inviting those who are eligible to seek further information.

We have used 'ordinary' Access Funds (soon to be relabled 'Hardship' Funds,
of course) in the past to subsidise our own Childcare Fund. This has worked
very well, because it has meant that we have been able to stretch the
University Childcare Funds further amongst  student parents who are not
eligible for support from Access, such as overseas students.

We have designed an extra sheet which will be added to the existing
Childcare Fund application form and which will be used to assess students'
eligibility for Access Bursaries.

We wanted to keep things as straight forward as possible as, of course, the
scheme will run for one year only.

I hope that this helps.

Please contact me again off list if you would like further details.

Yours,

Karin
=======================
Karin Alderson