At London Guildhall University we would identify whether
the student was "settled" in the UK, or fell within any
of the six limited categories identified by the DFEE. We
would do this in informal discussion with the student and
make an assessment whether they were Home or Overseas.
Where the case is not clear cut, or the student does not
accept the assessment, our practice is to ask the student to
complete a fee status assessment questionnaire, to allow a
formal assessment.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:31:43 +0100 Robin Walker
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [This message is double-posted to admin-lea and admin-student, as our
> colleagues in LEAs might have some helpful input].
>
> In the case where a student declines to apply to an LEA for Student
> Support, what checks do HE Institutions typically make to determine
> whether the student is eligible for Home Fee rates, versus Overseas Fee
> rates?
>
> For the sake of argument, consider the following case:
>  - the course is Designated for Student Support;
>  - the student is taking a first first-degree;
>  - the student is of non-EU nationality;
>  - the student has lived in the UK for more than 3 years, for a purpose
> other than obtaining education.
>
> The issue seems to boil down to immigration status.  How rigorously do
> HE institutions check up on this, and what exactly are they looking for?
>
> --
> Robin Walker, (Junior Bursar), Queens' College, Cambridge, CB3 9ET, UK
> [log in to unmask] http://www.quns.cam.ac.uk/ Tel:+44 1223 335528 Fax:335566

Christopher Hallas