The last I heard from the DfEE was that they were near to getting final
clearance from ministers on the guidance and would be forwarding it to HEFCE
for printing.  They hoped HEFCE would be sending it out the week beginning 19
June.  Obviously the timetable has slipped but hopefully we should see
something soon.  If I can find out anything more definite when I'm in touch
with the DfEE next I'll let you know.

Pam

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:19:26 +0100 Jan Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Karin
>
> This is also how I interpreted the situation. That the fee waiver fund
> would be separated out from Access. ie mature student bursary
> fund, which we have been allocated 80% of already with a further
> 20% to follow, hardship funds, again a separate fund and the fee
> waiver fund. I have a copy of last years HEFCE guidance on the
> administration of Access Funds - for the time being I will use the
> guidance contained within it which referes specifically to fee
> remission.
>
> At the conference in Preston 'Financial Guidance for Students 2, I
> seem to remember DFEE confirming that a substantial amount of
> guidance regarding administration of the funds was to follow. A
> best practice approach could then be adopted by HEI's. I am still
> waiting for this. We need this information early as it should form
> part of an overall recruitment strategy. i.e. attracting students
> whom would not otherwise consider entering education without
> these financial incentives, thus widening access to education.
>
> Lets hope that the promised guidance follows shortly.
>
> Regards
>
> J N Turnbull ([log in to unmask])
> Student Finance and Data Protection Compliance Officer
> Chester College of Higher Education
> The views expressed are those of the
> individual and not necessarily those
> of the college, unless stated otherwise.

Pamela Bell-Ashe
Senior Assistant Registrar (Student Services)
The University of Liverpool
Senate House
Abercromby Square
Liverpool L69 3BX