The two most recent patients were on lisinopril only
with serum sodium of 126 and 122 mmol/L. Clinicians
are usually aware of diuretic induced hyponatraemia.
Some patients are started on a diuretic for a while
however on the addition of ACEI their sodium starts to
drop. If the patient is on combination of ACEI and
diuretic and develops hyponatraemia we should not
assume that the diuretic is the only culprit as it can
be an innocent bystander, plenty of cases in the
literature support this.

regards.

--- [log in to unmask] wrote: >
It is not uncommon to prescribe diuretics in
> combination with ACE-inhibitors; indeed patients
> with diabetes and hypertension may well require
> triple therapy to reduce their blood pressure to a
> UKPDS-based target. Have your patients been on
> ACE-inhibitors alone, or are they on other agents as
> well?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Hutchesson
> Royal Bolton Hospital

INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=acb-clin-chem-gen-request(a)mailbase.ac.uk;
> 	Sent: 	17 August 2000 17:43
> 	To: 	p=NHS NATIONAL

INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=acb-clin-chem-gen(a)mailbase.ac.uk;

=====