Dear Colleagues,

I come back to a pseudothrombocytopenia-related discussion we had
earlier on this list.
This time, we have a patient whose platelets time-dependently drop in
tubes containing either EDTA, citrate or heparin. We tried to count his
platelets in a self-made blood collection tube containing magnesium
sulphate and (surprisingly) we were able to measure his true platelet
count (smears from this sample demonstrated no clumping). It was funny
for me to learn from a German textbook written in 1933 that magnesium
sulphate has been used at that time for prevention of platelet
agglutination when Fonio platelet counts were performed. In certain
circumstances we obviously need to go back to the roots ...
Back to our patient: Has anybody came across a situation like ours of
combined pseudothrombocytopenia?

Sincerely,

Dr. med. Michael Steiner
University of Rostock
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry
Ernst-Heydemann-Str. 6
D-18057 Rostock
GERMANY