Helen Grimes wrote;

> Shouldn't aliquoting serum be avoided if at all possible, as
> primary tube identification does avoid errors, and enables safe
> rechecks etc. Surely current anlaysers are such that the majority
> of reequests can be done speedily on a main core biochemistry
> analsyer and a main immunoassay analyser, passing the primary
> tube from one to the other.

Using only one tube for all assays can lead to to some
unforseen errors.
Where there is an analyte with a very wide range of possible
results (eg HCG) there can be appreciable carryover from
sample probes. If a sample has been analysed on other
instruments before the HCG assay carryover can contaminate
the original specimen without an obvious source.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins MLSO3
Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
The General Infirmary at Leeds,
Old Medical School, Thoresby Place
Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
44 (0) 113 392 2915
http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com
The opinions expressed here are my own.
My colleagues and employers may not agree with them.