A haematology colleague had an almost identical case as you describe here.
There are known associations between high ferritin levels and malignancy,
particularly renal cell carcinoma ("Serum Ferritin as a clinical marker for
renal cell carcinoma", Urol Int 1999;62(1):21-5). In our patient further
investigation revealed she had a large renal cell carcinoma.