Well wasn't Warren C Stuarts message a breath of fresh air
in this debate!  I may be misquoting but I think it was
George Bernard Shaw who wrote " The professions are a
conspiracy against the laity".
Perhaps science and scientists would have a better standing
in the public eye if information was willingly
given and gathered from bodies such as ours or reputable
medical/science textbooks rather than a garbled, biased
version distilled through journalists.
We are not "all knowing" creatures - if a patient finds out
something we did not know surely we can learn from them
just as well as from any other professional source!  Hard
to believe I know but many patients are intelligent even if
they are not medically or scientifically qualified!

pamela riches
St. George's Hospital Medical School
Opinions expressed those of the author and not the institution