Almost all of our "raised" results are faxed to previously agreed numbers by
pre-programmed fax to an agreed individual (though this is generally only
"Senior Midwife" to avoid the loss of results during holidays. We only
undertake to do this after getting a signature agreeing to our "faxed
results" policy from the senior midwife. Fax machines are generally in a
non-patient antenatal clinic area, but some go to consultant secretaries. We
also have a named individual at each source to deal with problems.
Telephoned results are given to an agreed list of individuals or consultant
when we cannot find someone.

The responsibility for contacting the patient lies with the named individual
we fax the results back to. We do not give results to patients even when an
antenatal clinic has (allegedly) told the patient to 'phone us (!!!) or
engage in individual discussion of results with anyone but a midwife or
obstetrician. Conselling policy varies across the region (we cover most of
Yorkshire) and may be performed by a counsellor, midwife or obstetrician
with varying degrees of training.

We are aware of the problem of getting reliable clinical
demographic/clinical information for the calcualtion. We get around this
problem by printing the information used in the calculation on the bottom of
the report form and stating explicitly that if any of the information is
incorrect then the risk will be too and will need recalculating.