Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:14:56 -0400
From: Rosan Chow <[log in to unmask]>
To: Richard Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: PhD differentiation

--------------A88CED12F587A6BC01CAB1A3

Dick and all

I apologize in advance if the following questions are redundant, but please allow
me to use my 'license' of being a student.

Richard Buchanan wrote:

> Although I don't care for snappy one-liners in something so complex, I
> think the cumulative progression is from reasoned facts, to reasoned
> connections, to reasoned significance or principles.  Or, as a
> well-known twentieth-century philosopher has argued, from hypotheses to
> themes to theses.

I have learned that the chief characteristic of design is IMAGINATION, something
that may be outside the realm of reasoning, although reasoning is an important
part of designing. I can understand how Ph.D.  in design possibly being the
reasoned principles, but I have a hard time relating undergraduate and masters in
design as reasoned facts and connections for the fact that reasoning alone is not
enough for professional practice of design.

My other struggle is with the idea of 'originality'. Although in reality many
design objects or systems are hardly original, but isn't being novel one of the
keys in design? So theoretically, to be original is required on all levels of
design education. If that being the case, in terms of doctoral education in
design, is the difference more of method of inquiry and making the 'new'
understanding explicit and transferable?

Allow me to stretch this further, if the difference is indeed a matter of 'style'
of knowing and its presentation, does it also mean that we are adopting the
existing model of knowledge generation that values rational, logical and
conceptual way of knowing but may not be suitable for design education?

The reason for my struggles comes from the belief and fear that theoretical
knowledge and scientific knowledge in particular is hegemonic. By adopting
existing ideas of what is considered valuable in education, do we not perpetuate
the existing power difference and marginalize design knowledge further?

Thanks Rosan

--------------A88CED12F587A6BC01CAB1A3

begin:vcard
n:Chow;Rosan