How very timely.

As Chair of the NW Region (who admittedly was away on holiday
for the last meeting -before any 'locals' start accusations)
I too have been wondering how to reawaken interest in
Regional meetings which are becoming visibly smaller. There
are a handful of loyal stalwarts but very little sign of any
of the younger or more recently qualified members of the
Region.

I think they must see the Regional meetings as increasingly
irrelevant. I also think that the appearance of the RAC's
(Regional Archive Councils) may have something to do with it
as an increasing number of decisions which may once have been
taken at Regional meetings are PERHAPS now being made
elsewhere? (I merely pose the question).If the Regions of the
Society no longer have any 'clout'or purpose apart from jolly
socials perhaps there is no longer any need for them ???!!!
I did consider having a meeting to discuss this very issue to
which I thought I might invite one or two other Regional
Chairs and/or Secretaries. This has not come to fruition
because ironically we have a fairly 'busy' set of meetings
with training issues and speakers lined up (thanks to our
Training Officer). This may or may not 'attract' a wider
audience than usual.
There is I think still a role for Regional meetings -
particularly  for those lone archivists who perhaps would
like professional contact and discussion. Regional meetings
are of course also the means through which the voice of the
membership should/could be passed up to the higher echelons
of the SoA through our Regional reps.

Just a bit of fuel for the flames on a Friday afternoon....

Helen Ford
BG Group Archives