Dear Jorge,

> I have calculated the volume of activation of different brain areas
> using a fixed effects analysis (fMRI data set, SPM99b). How can I
> obtain an estimate of the error of these volumes?

The distributional approximations for spatial extent will be found in:

Friston KJ Worsley KJ Frackowiak RSJ Mazziotta JC & Evans AC Assessing
the significance of focal activations using their spatial extent Human
Brain Mapping 1994;1:214-220

These are used as the basis of inference (i.e. p values) based on
spatial extent.  Comparing two clusters however is not so simple, if
that is what you want the error variance for.

I hope this helps  - Karl