Susann,

I appreciate your comment.  However, I think I provided a qualification
on my use of the term "semantics."  I am not referring to "product
semantics," or the semiotic version of semantics, or the meanings that
are associated with Carnap in his semantic investigations, or many other
meanings of the term.

I am making a distinction between the investigation and interpretation
of what a designer or design theorist or any other person writes about
design and the investigation of design itself as a phenomenon in the
world.

It is, indeed, possible to conduct an inquiry through commentary on the
work of another--there are powerful examples of this in some medieval
commentaries on the works of the ancients.  However, one often finds
that a young doctoral student proposes to investigate a novel reading of
a major text in our field--or in other fields.  Such students often do
not understand, at an early stage, that such a reading, by itself, is
not adequate as inquiry.  Inquiry extends beyond the words of one or
another writer and reaches into the subject to which the words refer.
The difference may seem subtle, but there is a real difference.

In medieval philosophy there is a very valuable distinction made between
first and second intentions.  This is the distinction that I am
employing here.  Inquiry is a matter of first intention, learning how to
read an author is a matter of second intentionality.

Much of our discussion (in ordinary academic discourse and in this list)
is second intentional--clarifying the meaning of terms, arguing over
interpretations of terminology, and such.  What I enjoy about this list
is that the proportion of first intentionality is somewhat higher than
one often finds in ordinary academic discourse.  In other words, this
list sometimes raises problems of inquiry that are very interesting and
not easily answered simply by accepted terminology.

In my opinion, learning how to read an author carefully is a preliminary
step toward inquiry, not inquiry itself.  Unfortunately, I find that our
educational systems in various parts of the world place great stress on
second intentionality and seldom help students get beyond the accepted
theories of a field, so that they may discover first intentional
questions.

How we make meaning in design is, indeed, a first intentional question.
But when we treat that question primarily by interpreting existing
theories--in essence, simply clarifying for ourselves what a particular
theorist of meaning has to say--we are not engaged in inquiry.  It may
advance our personal understanding, but it does not necessarily lead to
new knowledge about the world.  There is a difference between what is
better known to us and what is better known in the world.

I think this is a distinction that is worth bearing in mind.

Regards,

Dick

Richard Buchanan
Professor and Head