I am puzzled by the suggestion that design and knowledge of design is
somehow beyond the scope of other ways of knowing.  It seems rather
precious--a kind of special pleading for self-defense--to claim, on very
vague and general grounds, that design just doesn't fit into the
framework of human understanding as we have known it and as we continue
to explore it in diverse ways.  Before going down that path, we had
better look closely at how this matter has been addressed in other areas
of inquiry--and there is more than ample literature to consider.

My response takes two forms.

First, all inquiry is the investigation of possibilities and "what-if."
To think otherwise is to imagine that truth is carved on the body of
what exists and requires only to be excavated.  This is a very narrow
and naive vision of research and inquiry in other fields.  In fact, it
seems to trivialize the problem of inquiry in general.  Special us and
poor them.

Second, as Bryn points out, design as a discipline is by no means unique
in focusing on the creation of what does not yet exist.  The first
example of this that comes to mind is the discipline of rhetoric, which
for more than two thousand years has been concerned precisely with the
invention and creation of speeches that have not yet been made.  The
problem of writing and communication is an exceptionally close parallel
with the problems that designers address, and writers in the former
tradition have not found its future orientation to be an obstacle to
clear thinking and articulation.  Other examples cover the range of
creative disciplines in the arts.  And still other examples cover the
range of human practical action--politics and related disciplines that
seek to understand how human beings create and sustain various forms of
organizational behavior--to say nothing of inquiry into ethics and moral
behavior.  It is also tempting to discuss the problems of theology over
the centuries and across cultures as another example.

In short, it is naive to suddenly declare the special status of design,
as if no one else has ever considered the problem of creation.  If this
is where we are, then the "field" is surely in no small trouble.

Dick