During the 8:00 a.m. news this morning on Radio Scotland, the BBC's Richard
Galpin reported from the scene of the June 4 earthquake on Sumatra that many
people had survived because they managed to get out of their houses during
the earthquake (or that was my understanding; I could not find this thought
replicated on the BBC website).

I understand that literature on how to act during a earthquake normally
states "stop, drop, and take cover", or stay in a well-supported area of the
building, until the shaking stops and then exit the building and stay away
from structures.  This material, though, is normally geared towards
developed countries and I would guess that it makes the assumption that the
structure has been engineered to the best of our ability to withstand the
forces induced by earthquakes.

I would be curious to know if anyone could confirm Galpin's report that many
people survived this earthquake, or others in the past, because they left
their houses during the shaking.  From those who have experienced a severe
earthquake, would such action actually be possible?  As well, what would be
the best manner of trying to survive an earthquake in a structure which has
not been properly engineered to avoid collapse during an earthquake?

Thank you very much for your time,
Ilan