In message <000b01bf9178$37e01a80$8f75dec2@caiman>, Martin & Adriana
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>There is (or at least was five years ago, last time I was there) an almost
>complete set of the List of Mines in Cardiff Central Library, going right
>back to Robert Hunt's lists of the 1860s or thereabouts. There were a couple
>of gaps, but nothing major. The title of the actual book changed a couple of
>times, which makes it slightly more interesting to track them down.
>
>Getting access to them was somewhat awkward though, as they were not listed
>in the new public access Library catalogue when it was moved to the new
>building around ten years ago! However, they are (or were) held in the
>stacks (reserve collection, somewhere in the basement?) and can be retrieved
>on request, though you may have to be persistent. From memory, they were
>held in the "oversize series" section.
>
>I'd be interested to hear if anyone manages to get access to them.

I called at Cardiff Central Library this afternoon to take up the
challenge! I know a lot of stuff disappeared in the move to the new
library.

Without going into tiny detail, the Public Access computer catalogue
includes:
List of Mines 1894 to 1938 with some gaps
Robert Hunt's Mineral Statistics 1853 to 1871
List of Mines Worked 1888, 1893

On "persisting" the librarian moved to another computer and produced the
following information for me:
Mines Inspectors Reports 1851 to 1914 with gaps (I looked at the first
three and all related to coal mines)
Mines General Reports 1894 to 1920
List of Mines 1888 to 1950 with gaps
Mines & Quarries Inspectors Reports 1921 to 1975
Mining Journal 1849 to 1851

Would it not be a service to all of us if the locations around the
country of such sources could be kept and made available. Finding some
things, like the Mining Journal and Local & Personal Acts of Parliament,
is always a problem, if you are not in Redruth or London (respectively).
It is something this list could work towards and the results could be
made available via the web.

Michael

Michael Messenger
http://www.twelveheads.demon.co.uk/