Has anyone any knowledge of Medomsley Colliery, near Shotley Bridge,
Durham, or can anyone point me towards sources?

I have been researching a Cornish engineer, Edwin Octavius Tregelles
(1806-1886), and I find from the published extracts of his journals he
owned this colliery. He moved to Shotley Bridge in 1850 and left in
1878. There are two references to the colliery in his journals: in
February 1856 there was a strike and in January 1860 three miners were
killed when a wire rope broke and they fell forty feet.

Tregelles was an insistently pious man and must have made a considerable
impression on all he met. It would be good to know how he treated his
workforce and what they thought of him, if such information survives.

I would particularly like to know when the colliery was operating and
any details of ownership. Neither the north-east nor collieries are very
familiar to me so if anyone can help here I would be very grateful.

Michael Messenger
http://www.twelveheads.demon.co.uk/