Alan,
I'm not sure whether this will go to you or to the list.  I would be interested in details of the development of the Swan lamp, but I don't have your email address.
        Mike

Mike Worsfold
Shropshire Mines Trust

        Ian mentioned the work of Joseph Swan (later Sir Joseph Swan) in producing
        his electric lantern for coal mine use and its use underground.
        I have information on the development of the lamp and its use underground
        but I suspest that this may be rather long to circulate as a list message.
        If anyone wishes to have this information please contact me 'off list' and I
        will send it as an attachment.

        Alan.