In message <[log in to unmask]>, Alan Scragg
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Adrian,
>>           can you tell me if there was ever a colliery called
>Thursfield
>>near Tunstall about the turn of the century, if so where exactly was
>it,
>>                      Regards Nigel
>
>Can you tell us which Tunstall you are talking about? Presuming the
>Stoke-on-Trent one, it doesn't appear in the 1896 list, it doesn't
>appear in the Geological Memoir for S-o-T, it doesn't appear in my
>database of colliery accidents and I have no other record of it.
>Otherwise presuming the Tunstall near Sunderland in Tyne and Wear, it
>doesn't appear in the 1896 list nor in any of my records.
>
>Sorry for the negativity!
>
>We are talking about Tunstall Stoke-on-Trent.
>The colliery was sited at Newchapel, close to Kidsgrove in the Borough
>of Stoke-on-Trent.  The whole site was opencast in the 1980s.  Shafts
>which were left were filled in the mid 90s due to housing development.
>Famous for galena specimens which were found in the coal measures.  See
>Ward: History of the Borough of Stoke-on-Trent
>I have other info. if you need it.
>
>Alan Scragg

Right! I have now located Thursfield Lodge on the current OS map. This
takes it just over the border into the Macclesfield Geological memoir,
which again does not mention it. Presumably it was not that far from the
Victoria Colliery shafts? Neither Memoir makes any reference to galena,
apart from the S-O-T one mentions galena as occurring in ironstone
nodules. Tell me more!
--
Dave Williams  - [log in to unmask]

Visit the Mining History Network at
http://info.exeter.ac.uk/~RBurt/MinHistNet
for information on PDMHS Ltd., the active Mining History Society.