In message <200005281840.TAA1791111@mercury>, Peter Claughton
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have received the following query.  My initial thoughts are, given the
>location and the possible RU inscription, that this is a boundary marker for
>Ruabon parish. However that is certainly open to contradiction.
>
>Peter
>
>>Recently while walking over the moors south of Minera I came across what
>>might be a mine/sett boundary marker. The grid reference from the OS
>>Landranger 117 is approx 238488 although this is a rough guestimate. The
>>area on the OS map marks Shafts(dis) and the ground close to the stone has
>>obviously been disturbed by what looks like mine workings although long
>>abandoned. Carved into one face of the stone are the letters P or RU. I
>>would be interested in the mining history of the area and if this stone
>>marker is associated with that activity.

I tend to agree Peter. Inscribed boundary markers are found both on
parish boundaries and on the boundaries of the Common Waste of the
parish in north east Wales.  The latter are related to mining
activities.  For example the Grosvenor family own the mineral rights
under the former Common Waste of the Hundred of Bromfield and Yale.

I will visit the present site.

--
Tony King