I have been following this thread, and wondered if you might have been
trying to locate Round's Green Colliery in Dudley, Staffordshire, rather
than a colliery in Yorkshire?

>In message <000901bfc10a$54913760$c2e4fc3e@mark>, Mark Smith
><[log in to unmask]> writes
>>    Can anyone provide me with a location plus sinking and closure
>>    dates for Round Green Colliery. It is possible that it was in
>>    Yorks. but I can't be sure of this.

>>    Mark Smith

I am afraid I don't have much information about Round Green Colliery,
Dudley, but there was an explosion there on 17th November 1846, when 19
were killed and 3 seriously injured.

The pit was 540ft. deep, with (prior to the explosion) very little gas
so candles were used. However the mine was liable to spontaneous
combustion (a common 'feature' in the pits around Dudley and Netherton),
so ventilation was kept to a minimum.

The accident prompted a local man, Samuel Cook, to issue a poster
demanding action on mine gas.

Kelvin Lake
Shropshire Caving & Mining Club      ^o^
  Club introduction at           http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorbons/scmc.html
     and activities at           http://www.serve.com/scmc/index.html
Members of: Midland Cave Rescue Organisation, BCRA, & NAMHO          ^o^