>Jim,
>
>With all due respect,

Phoo . . . there you go again!

please read my comments to John Foster.  >
>Here is the primary argument of the paper.  The authors argue that another
>constraint for the environment should be added to the optimization process
>that say a social planner would optimize.  Yeah I know that is cryptic as
>hell and you are probably tempted to hit the delete key...but wait, I'll
>attempt a translation.
>
>Think of it this way a decentralized market economy can also be depicted
>as an optimizaiton problem for a social planner who has access to all the
>appropriate information.  So, not only would you have constraints on how
>much labor you have, your production technology, etc. But you'd add in a
>constraint for environmental degredation.  That is only a specific amount
>of degredation is allowed (I assume the idea here is that ecosystems can
>recover from a certain level of damage, but too much damage destroys the
>system or renders it incapable of recovering to pre-damage levels).
>Hence, there is not growth at any cost.
>
>Now, the authors also point out that using a market economy would be
>helpful.  The reason is, that markets are essentially a whole bunch of
>people coordinating their decision making in a decentralized manner.
>Hence, what needs to be done is institutions need to be put in place that
>would give the various actors in the economy (consumers, firms, even
>governments) incentives to take sustainable policies.

Well, all that might just as well have been written in Esperanto; if
anything up there made any sense, it certainly flew by me.

Sorry.

[log in to unmask] - Tallahassee, FL - who suspects that the much
worshipped "maret economy" may be at the root of our ecological problems.