On Wed, 15 November 2000, "Steven Bissell" wrote:

> Foster, how in the world do you *always* manage to miss the point?
> sb

Easy. The point is that you are no longer 21 years old.

Also the issue you raise, from a philosophic point of view, is simple to resolve an environmental issue. The topic of getting one's message out about the concern for killing anceint redwood trees is not simply about process {how we do it} versus substantive issues. 'Diverting the issue' of killing ancient trees to an 'non-issue' regarding a 'person's' need to become famous, eg., to get on TV is simply 'ad hominem' type argumentation.

The people that attempt to have the issue made important are 'selfless' because they care more about the trees than short term immediate profits to a select handful.

Look at Intel's advertisement on TV? What is the point here? The only point is to get your attention and drill the message home: INTEL: INTEL: and then the next advertisement is ORACLE:ORACLE:ORACLE....

There is nothing 'immoral' in taking a shirt off, nor is there something 'immoral' about INTEL's advertisement.

So how did you figure out that a person taking her shirt is lying to you and the public in her attempt to protect your beloved ancient redwoods in California?

Apodicity on Motives

That thinking which always points to the messenger as being evil is 'immoral', that is, using redwoods for selfish purposes; and who are the most selfish here?

Like Benjamin said, the issue is not one of process {how you get your message out} but an issue regarding substance: " It is wrong, killing ancient redwoods is the wrong thing to do when they are almost gone?"

Jim Tantillo seems to support that it is not the redwoods that are the issue, but again the ad hominem arguement appears {they are no different than people who burn down ski resorts}:

that it is the people who protest against cutting ancient redwoods down that are the 'issue'. If that is the case, then the TV station is also immoral by reporting stripping.

It seems that the ad hominem arguement is back on this list and it is meant to divert new subscribers from a list that is set up to discuss environmental ethics.