Who is the Data Controller here?
Have the HESA the powers to do this?
 ----------
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: HESA and Experian
> Date: 17 January 2000 11:10
>
> <<File Attachment: ENVELOPE.TXT>>
> Data Protection sneaked into the newspapers again this weekend:
> Saturday's Guardian and today's Telegraph carried articles on the degree
> result checking service being set up by the Higher Education Statistics
> Agency (HESA) and Experian, the credit reference agency.  Employers will
> pay GBP35 to Experian for them to check the institution attended, dates,
> subjects studied and grades achieved by prospective employees. Saturday's
> Guardian reported that "To comply with data protection rules, employers
> will have to seek an applicant's permission before consulting Experian
> but to refuse may reflect badly on a job candidate".  I understand that
> HESA was originally set up to analyse and report on HE statistics. Though
> I note from their Register Entry that they are registered under "P018
> Trading in Personal Information".  This was news to me.  I should be
> interested in reading colleagues views on this.  Graham
> PS: I expect most university Student Records offices would be more than
> happy to offer employers a bargain priced confirmation of results service
> undercutting HESA!

> Graham Robinson, Senior Administrative Officer
> Registrars Department, Main Building Room B13
> UMIST, PO BOX 88, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
> Telephone 0161 200 8890  Fax 0161 200 3635

******************** E-mail confidentiality notice ********************

This e-mail (including attachments) is confidential and may be covered by
legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are
prohibited from printing, copying or distributing it.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately
by telephone or by e-mail to [log in to unmask] and delete this e-mail from
your system. Thank you.

It is possible for data conveyed by e-mail to be deliberately or
accidentally intercepted or corrupted. For this reason, in communicating
solely by e-mail, Masons is unable to accept any responsibility for any
breaches of confidence which may arise through use of this medium.

Masons will not accept liability for contractual commitments made by
individuals employed by the firm outside the scope of our business,
being the supply of legal services.

Any enquiries or comments on the text of this notice should be passed to
Clive Seddon, Partner, Information & Technology Group.

Masons, Solicitors
Address: 30 Aylesbury St, London EC1R OER
Telephone: +44 (0) 171 490 4000
Fax: +44 (0) 171 490 2545