Dear Fellow Sufferers,

I am drafting a DP Code of Practice for the University of Leeds
(may the Lord have mercy on my soul). Like many other HEI's we
have an official Archive, which acts as a repository for 'old' files
(both central and departmental).  Personnel files - for members of
staff who have left, retired or died - are also passed to the Archive;
and other files will, of course, include personal data.

The Archive is used mostly for research purposes, both by
University staff and members of the public.

I'm fairly sure I read or heard somewhere that Archives might be
exempt. Furthermore, my reading of 2.6. of the DPRO's
Introduction to the Act ('Research, History and Statistics')
suggests that it might reasonably be concluded that Archives ARE
exempt under this heading.

Any views?

Melody Mellor
Assistant Secretary