Dear Colleagues

I am the archivist for the National Trust for Scotland, and am responsible
for Data Protection compliance within the organisation.  The Trust is a
member of Scottish Environment Link, an umbrella grouping of Scottish
environmental organisations.

These agencies have access to the services of a parliamentary officer,
funded by the NLCB to ensure that environmental concerns are well
highlighted in the Scottish Parliament.  They have now invested in, and are
using, the LobbyContact database.  I believe this is an off the peg system.
It appears that you can enter information on an MSP, researcher or political
contact into the database and this can be accessed by all LINK members. Has
anyone on the list come across this before and what are your thoughts?

In order to make our own lobbying more effective the Trust's Parliamentary
team would like to canvas our governing Council and Board of Directors to
see what contact they have had with MSPs and what was discussed etc. This
may involve the completion of a form stating with whom they have had
contact, in what context and what issues were discussed or covered.  This
may feed to the LINK LobbyContact. I have expressed an understanding that
although this may be a great idea, technically it is against the Fair
Processing Code as MSPs and others, although they are public figures, may
not necessarily expect their dinner conversation to be noted down and passed
on, and have not, therefore, given their consent.

I would appreciate any advice on the ins and outs of gathering such
information and especially on the 'correctness' of my interpretation before
taking this further.

Thank you all!

Carolynn Bain

Carolynn Bain - Archivist              Tel: 0131 243 9524
The National Trust for Scotland    Fax: 0131 243 9599
Wemyss House   		     Email: [log in to unmask]
28 Charlotte Square                     URL: http://www.nts.org.uk
Edinburgh EH2 4ET