> as the 'double precision' type depends on the machine, the dble
> intrinsic should never been used. in place of it, we have to use
> 'real(3.1415926,double_k)'.

See my previous post.

I think there is another issue involved here.  Most folks don't know
what precision they actually need.  They try out something and it works.
The problem is, what one gets is the smallest data type which complies
with the constraints.  Perhaps this is, say, 64 bits on one machine.
Obviously, this might not work if a 32-bit type is available.  So much
for portability.  In this example, REAL MIGHT suffer from the same
problem (though note that the default size of REAL is not necessarily
the same as "the number of bits the machine is"---it is on Cray, it
isn't on VMS); my point is that KIND doesn't solve all portability
problems.