From: Steve Morgan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 28 July 2000 22:55
To: Terry E. Koontz
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Porting mainframe Fortran codes to a PC ?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:07:54 -0600 "Terry E. Koontz"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are planning to move our IBM mainframe Fortran programs to PCs using
Microsoft windows.
> I need to replace the mainframe frond-end IBM DMS panels with PC
GUI/forms.

You should look at Winteracter. It works with Compaq V F.
Details at http://www.demon.co.uk/issltd/
I've no direct experience of it though.

> Also I'll need to generate XY plots.  We use IBM GDDM and ADMCHART on the
mainframe.

You could try the AVS/UNIRAS (www.avs.com) Fortran
interface to AGX libraries or something like Bradley's GINO
(http://www.bradassoc.co.uk/). There are many more
libraries out there but these are two I've had some
experience of. I doubt that you'll find a direct mapping
though.

Hope this helps,

Steve Morgan.
Dr. J. S. Morgan                Tel. 0151-794-3746 (3719 for messages)
Computing Services Department   Fax. 0151-794-3759
The University of Liverpool     email. J.S.Morgan @ liverpool.ac.uk
Chadwick Building
Peach Street
Liverpool L69 7ZF

> And we have a lot of REXX scripts that will need replaced.
> Also what about the accuracy of the Fortran computed values.
> We currently use IBM Fortran on a IBM VM mainframe and want to go to
Compaq Visual Fortran.

> Does anyone have experience with porting Fortran from a mainframe to a PC.
> Any suggestions on packages to use for front-ending and back-ending the
Fortran codes ?

> Thanks
>
> Terry Koontz
> Thiokol Propulsion
> Elkton, MD

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.

computer system network.