> I am working on a library module (A), which makes uses of an
> user supplied procedure (P) which, preferably, is placed in
> another module (B). In particular, it should be possible to
> compile A without knowing the body of B. However, a rudimental
> version of B containing a dummy for P could be supplied.
>
> Is there a legal way to do this in Fortran 95?
> If not, what is the "textbook solution" for this problem?

I don't think so.  I have struggled with this quite a bit, and never got
a satisfactory solution from this or any other source.

Someone will probably mention Van's separation of interface and
implementation.  Were that adopted, it would solve my problems.

Some sort of rudimentary version of B containing a dummy for P might
WORK, but it is not standard.  The USEd modules have to be available
when the routine using them is compiled.

As it turns out, I will be returning to this problem soon, hopefully
this week.  You'll probably hear cries of desperation from me then!