I am very upset. It seems the biggest loss for the North East since Basil.
I had followed Barry's poetry since the beginning picking up his odds
and ends as I found them. I exchanged letters for a time but that was
the neartest I got to him, despite his tenure in Darlington. I still
think the flawed masterpiece `Ranter' is his best work. And I always
loved it when he wrote of Sparty Lea.

Fred Beake wanted to publish a `Collected POems' with his Mammon Press
in collaboration with Bloodaxe, and Barry was very keen on the idea
but Bloodaxe dropped out and it came to nothing. A great pity. I think
Bloodaxe have a `Selected POems' in their future planning.

And Fred Beake's protegee Ryl LOvell died of cancer on Sunday. The
poets are dropping like flies. A selection of her work is available
at
   http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/poetry/poets/lovell1.html

There is nothing much else to say. Soon there wont be anybody left.