 From: Alison Drew
 Subject: Scanned images
 We have recently purchased an A4 flatbed scanner for use in the Searchroom.  At
  the moment the resolution is set at 150dpi and the quality of the images print
 ed out is excellent.  At the moment we are charging  2.00 for a b&w and  2.50 f
 or a colour but a number of issues have arisen in the last week;

 1) Should we be offering images of this quality - customers have to sign a copy
 right form but is this a good enough safeguard?

 2) Requests for copies have rocketed in the last two weeks.  At present there i
 s no handling charge. Do any record offices have a sliding scale of charges dep
 ending on the number of copies requested?

 A customer last week asked if we could save an image to his floppy disk.  We sa
 id no but I know some offices allow this - what safeguards are in place?

 Finally, do any offices charge people for taking a photograph or digital image
 even if the image will not be used in a publication?
 I have looked at previous messages on the list for inspiration but could not fi
 nd exactly what I was looking for.  My apologies however if this has been raise
 d in the past.

 Happy Christmas,

 Alison Drew
 Portsmouth