I want to pick up on Len's reference to FOI (under the heading 'levelling
the playing field').  I sent a message to the list a few days ago about the
FOI Bill having successfully completed the Parliamentary process. He is
quite right to urge records managers/archivists to grapple with the Act and
use it as an opportunity to raise their profiles and bring records
management in particular to the attention of senior management.

Here is your Friday afternoon quiz:

*       have you read the Bill and considered its implications for your
organisation, both as a public authority in its own right and, if
applicable, as an archives institution holding other bodies' records that
will be covered by the Act?
*       have you read the draft Lord Chancellor's code of practice and
thought about how it matches records management in your organisation?
*       have you read the draft Secretary of State's code of practice and
considered how it will affect your current policies and procedures for
dealing with enquiries - and complaints?
*       have you thought about what you might include in your publication
scheme?

Lots to do ...

If you are new to FOI and want a general introduction to the Bill as it was
in September (there have been some changes since) I did a note for the
latest issue of Metropolitan Lines, the GLAN Newsletter which is available
via the HMC website - go to

www.hmc.gov.uk/glan/metlines.htm

and then to page 20.

If you want to read the current drafts of the codes of practice go to the
website of the Home Office's FOI Unit where you will find links to both
codes (the Lord Chancellor's right at the foot of the page)

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/foi/index.htm

Bear in mind that both will be revised further but are certainly worth
looking at as they are

Happy reading!

Susan Healy
PRO

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.