Dear all,

The Birmingham City Archives collection of Education Department records
includes a series of approx. 4000 Education Census Books, c.1907-1970, and
we are interested to learn if it is the only series of its kind in the
country.

The census is of the whole city (the city being arranged into various
registration sub-districts) and includes the names of children, dates of
birth, address, school attending, parents names and occupations, previous
addresses (if recently moved) and remarks (usually relating to change of
address). The census appears to have been taken annually.

Please contact me on or off list if you are aware of any similar types of
records held elsewhere.

Thanks,

David Bishop
(on behalf of Marie Stephens)