In message <[log in to unmask]> on Fri, 18 Aug 2000, ELS
Oldham Archives Service <[log in to unmask]> writes
>However, as some people seem to be completely unaware of my articles,
>this should come as no surprise (and I thought I was performing such a
>valuable service!).  Len - am I right in thinking that you are no longer
>a member of the Society, in which case you are excused, but the rest of
>you should be ashamed of yourselves.  Personally I read my Newsletter
>from cover to cover at least twice!

I don't know whether I am the "Len" referred to, but if I am thanks for
excusing me! I'm afraid I have never been a member of the Society of
Archivists, though I try to keep a foot in the three camps of archives,
libraries and museums - Jake the Peg style. There are too many relevant
organisations for me to justify belonging to them all. ["Archives,
museums and libraries have more in common than they think. Discuss."]

I certainly agree with you that people should reply to the list where
nothing confidential is involved (and despite your admonitory footer, I
take that to be the case here). I have learned a lot from other people's
questions and answers - the first person to respond often does not have
the full, correct or only answer, and it's through open discussion that
we know what is generally accepted and what is not.

Regards

Leonard Will

--
Willpower Information        (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants               Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092