you might be interested to look at the retention periods recommended for
civil service staff personnel records in our Standard on Personnel Records,
available on our website. The Standard was revised recently to take account
of  the work of a group, which included a representative of the Data
Protection Commissioner's Office, which looked at the implications of the
1998 Data Protection Act for personnel records. While it applies only to the
civil service, and the retention periods are influenced by the needs of the
civil service pension scheme, nonetheless you might find it helpful.

You will find it at :

http://www.pro.gov.uk/recordsmanagement

Susan Healy

the system manager.