Thank you to all those who replied off-list to my query of yesterday. In
case you are in the same position, I thought it might be useful to post the
following guidance received from the PRO:

<I have just seen your message on the archives-nra. As these are public
records, I thought it might be helpful if I offer the following advice.The
PRO does open seals where the information is required but a conservator does
it and it is recorded that it has been done.  It is quite in order to give
access to the information so long as it is done carefully, and what is done
is documented.

Justin Frost
Acting Head of Archive Inspection Services Department
PRO, Kew>

Kim Collis
West Glamorgan Archive Service

the system manager.