Could anyone offer any advice please about cleaning volumes which are
covered with pigeon droppings? The volumes are mainly cloth-bound and most
of the droppings are on the covers, although some of the pages are affected.

I am trying to find out (a) a standard method of removing the dirt,  (b)
what the risks are from a Health and safety point of view and consequently
(c) what safety precautions ought to be taken.

My own feeling is that removal of the covers, though drastic, might be part
of the answer, though it does raise the risk of the integrity of the volumes
being damaged in the process.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefeuly received.

Roger Bettridge
Bucks Record Office

the system manager at [log in to unmask]