THe problem is: How do we know that the social worker isn't a drug user and that their collection has not contaminated the sample. Since it has been demonstrated that up to 25% of paper money in the UK and a higher proportion of money in the US has traces of illegal substances, we cannot even be certain that the child has not picked up a L10 note, got drugs on their hands and then wiped it into their hair. Our Occupational Health physician's son spent 2 hours in the airport drug tank being interviewed, body searched etc simply because the drug dogs had identified the smell of cannabis on his luggage following a visit to his girlfriend in Amsterdam. A cup of coffee in a bar on the way to the airport was said to have been sufficient to be the cause of the near arrest!

At least with urine we can observe it being passed and be relatively certain that contamination has not occurred.

TIM
Prof. T. Reynolds,
Clinical Chemistry Dept,
Queens Hospital,