CRIT-GEOG-FORUM  November 1999

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM November 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: On the potential for violence in Seattle] <fwd>

David McKnight <[log in to unmask]>

David McKnight <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:32:04 +0000 (GMT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Dan and David and others,
in some ways the forwarded message below echoes (and speaks
to)
Dan's concerns over 'upsetting' people such as his
neighbours and his Mum.
 In addition to this there is an interesting piece by Mark
Lynas reflecting on June 18th in Corporate Watch (issue 9)
that al;so tries to address such concerns
here is a chopped version of it(apologies to anyone who has
already read these pieces) :
"Let's face it - the campaign against capitalism is not
popular. There is some case for the saying that in
targetting financial institutions we are acting on behalf
of the billions of people in the Third World who are denied
their basic reights. But who asked them ? There is perhaps
some small mechanism of accountability  to the South
through the Peoples Global Action network - but it's very
tenuous. The basic issue is one of who makes the decisions
- and the targets in the city on June 18 were decided in
London, not in Lusaka. The reality is that the movement is
accountable to no-one.
We are drunk with our own power, titillated and ego-tripped
by all the notoriety and media attention. Many want a
repeat of June 18, where we can  cost the capitalists
millions and all feel empowered at the same time.

But what about everyone else ? What about all those who
either out of dignity or necessity feel they must wrk for a
living, and that they have some stake in the system that
we're seeking out to destroy ? Surely this is the crux of
theissue. Take the perennial media deabte. Fro anarchistic
ideological reasons alomst everyone involved refused to
participate in any attempt to project a positive image of
June 18th through the mainstream media.

Ultimately this kind of purism is surely
counter-productive. Like a cult, it alienates all but the
strongest of believers, and undermines diversity in its
push for total obedience. it condemns us the margins of
political influence when we should be pushing at the
mainstream.

 Our heroes the zapatistas are way ahead of us. They have
faced up to the responsibilites that their success has
forced upon them. They have called meetings and
referendums. They have spent days and weeks consulting with
the widest possible sections of the mainstream Mexican
society,. There is a legitimacy in their calim to be
fioghting alongside all those who are marginalised by the
naked violence of semi-feudal landlordism and free trade.
Of thei legitmacy we have none.

 This, then is surely the most crtical meaning of June 18.
And the key message is not to the capitalists, it is to us.
It says this; 'If you aim to be a truly revolutionary
movement, you must work with the people. You must listen,
and not assume that you know best. Then, and only then,
must you act.'